Minutes of the Viking 4x4 Club AGM held at
The Cherry Tree, Catthorpe. 26th November 2016
Present: Pip Evans, Brian & Marilyn Elliott, Duncan Smith, Allen Sharpe, Chrissy Trewerne, Malcolm & Patrick Burman, Stuart & Lisa Walker.
Apologies: Jake Cooper, Lee Craighead, Sue Papworth, Richard Peters.
Review of last year’s events:
Last year we lost some dear friends. Emma Cockerill, Simon Essam & Mark Towle.
We had 6 Odyssey challenges – all sponsored, 3 Orienteering events (one less than last year) the Valhalla Challenge and of course the new Ragnarok Challenge. All went well with no hiccups, numbers were good for some events but low for others. R1 = 25, R2 = 16, R3 = 20, R4 = 17, R5 = 14, R6 = 14. Ragnarok = 30. Valhalla = 18. Orienteering event numbers were: Weekley Woods 19 trucks, Marefield 5 trucks, Stainby 17 trucks.
Pretty Good year all in all, setting up was tough at times but collecting punches at the end was great – massive thanks to those who helped. We didn’t do too bad for marshals, it was tight on a couple of events, but we lose Steve Potts and Brian Cooper next year and these will be difficult shoes to fill. The great thing about last year was that we had no injuries which is amazing considering the type of events we do.
Treasurer’s Report: Our treasurer reported that club funds are healthy and we ended up with £71 more in the coffers than last year. It appears that we have the balance about right, we are not in the business of making a profit and always try to ensure that competitors have value for money. We try to keep costs to a minimum but still must ensure that events are sustainable and don’t make a loss.
(Specific details are for club members only, contact Pip Evans for further info)
Committee Positions: As per usual, all committee positions become vacant at the AGM. The new committee positions are as follows.
Chairman: Duncan Smith
Treasurer: Marilyn Elliott
Secretary: Pip Evans
Membership Secretary: Brian Elliott
Safety Officer: Patrick Burman
Child Protection Officer: Sue Papworth
enue Co-ordinator: Pip Evans
Scrutineer: Andrew Witham
Website: (Non Committee Position) Simon B
Dates for 2017:
12 March – Weekley Woods (Orineteering – Odyssey Shakedown)
09 April – Weekley Woods – entrance area R1
07 May – Barnwell R2
20-21 May – Ragnarok - Weekley Woods & Deep Scar
18 June – Deep Scar R3
1-2 July – Valhalla - Weekley Woods & Deep Scar
13 August – Lea Bridge, Matlock R4
10 September – Wormhough Farm R5
8 October – Weekley Woods – main wood area R6
Donnington Show: It was agreed that we have a stand at the show again next year. The fee is £260, Marilyn has now booked and paid for this. It is hoped that Ben Robinson, Patrick Burman and Lee Craighead will have their trucks on the stand.
Set Up Crews: There is now a free entry available to any crew who agrees to set up an event. (One free entry per series only) This includes tear down after the event. If no one comes forward to offer their services, Pip will again take responsibility for the events at Boughton Estate, Steve King will set up at Matlock, Rough & Ready to set up at Barnwell but we still need someone for Wormhough. Pip took this opportunity to thank Steve Potts and Brian Cooper for their help and support over the last 9 years. They will be a hard act to follow and will be sorely missed. Hopefully Richard Peters and Malcolm Burman will help out when available.
Digger for Boughton land: It was agreed that we spend some money hiring a digger to do some work at the Boughton Estate. Pip to liaise with Lee Craighead for this.
Entry Fee: This is to remain pretty much as last year at £50 per Odyssey Challenge event if paid in advance and £45 per event if all 6 rounds are paid for in full at the start. However, in order to encourage pre-payment, the cost to pay on the day will be increased to £60 per one day event.
The entry fee for the Valhalla will remain at £210 but the pay on the day fee for this will be £230.
The Ragnarok event will also remain the same at £500 per team. This must be pre-paid in full or the team will not be allowed to enter.
Orienteering event fee’s will remain at £25.
Viking Gazebo: We are aiming to procure a large pop-up gazebo. Odyssey will be approached to see if they will help with this. If not, Duncan Smith is to procure one for the club.
Viking Membership Year: Pip explained that the membership year used to run from January 1st to December 31st but was changed to December 1st to November 31stwhen we used to hold Trials events so that the championship results could be collated in time for a trophy presentation at Christmas. Now that we no longer hold a trials series, it was decided that we revert back to starting the membership on January 1st.
Odyssey Sponsorship: Steve King has been liaising with Odyssey on the club’s behalf. They still owe us for the end of year trophies and we still need some prizes for the presentation on December 3rd. We are hopeful that they will agree to sponsor our series next year but this decision isn’t made until next month.
End of year presentation – Saturday December 3rd at the Stoney Cove Dive Centre at 19.00.
The 6 event challenge series – Formerly the LRS Challenge Series started in 2007, so 2017 will be our 10th anniversary. Let’s hope it will prove to be a good one.
There being no other business, the meeting ended at 21.15.